State hunter education courses available now – All new hunters or trappers planning to go afield this upcoming season must first complete a mandatory hunter or trapper education course, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation is reminding people. Previously licensed hunters who plan to hunt out of state should also have their sportsman education certificates or previous licenses in hand as proof that they have completed the required course. All states accept New York’s hunter education course but states differ on what is required as proof of completion. Sporting licenses went on sale Aug. 13.